Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Trash Talk



We did it!!  Woo-hoo!!  We successfully made it through all of the trash days this week and all of our refuse got picked up properly, no neighbors were pointing and laughing at our garbage piles and the garbage man didn't ring the doorbell to yell at us!!  Major accomplishment.  Nope, not kidding. 

Ever since I left my parent's house at the age of 18 (where I most certainly was never on trash duty) I have lived in a place where there are dumpsters available at all times to throw away your trash in the alley.  Therefore, trash collection has never in my adult life been on my radar screen.  Move to the suburbs and viola!  There is a world of trash collection I knew nothing about.  Glendale is very strict when it comes to this trash thing.  Holy moses.  Monday is recycling and yard waste.  Wednesday is trash.  Some day I can't figure out (first Monday?  third Wednesday?) is bulk trash.  And some other day (first Monday?  third Wednesday?) is bulk yard waste day.  We can't recycle things that we could recylce in the city (like the plastic containers strawberries and blueberries come in or pizza boxes) and if the collectors open your 65 gallon properly marked recycling bin to find those items they will not take any of it.  Yard waste cannot be mingled with anything else (read: dog poop) or they will not take any of it.  And the container must be marked with an X or the words YARD WASTE.  And any limbs/branches must be bundled in twine and no more than 4ft long by 6" in diameter.  And cardboard moving boxes must be bundled in twine and broken down and no bigger than something we never did figure out.  And the yard waste container on the right side of the driveway and the recycling and garbage containers on the left side (or is it vice versa?).  I'm confused again.  Is your head spinning yet?  Because there are more rules I could throw out here but I'm feeling anxious about it again just writing this!  Now, I consider my husband and I to be very highly educated, high functioning members of society......why in the world can we not figure out the trash?!  Ridiculous.  Glendale, you got me.  Note that we learned all of this from trial and error.  Perhaps a nice packet about trash pickup could have landed in our mailbox from the city of Glendale lying out all of this information?  Too much to ask I suppose.  So I must thank our neighbors for their help (post snickering with each other) and my mother who spent a week with us and took the brunt of the garbage man door bell ringing.  Sheesh.  We did it.  Take that!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment