Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Too Much Relaxin

I wish there was too much 'relaxing' go on around here, but unfortunately I am talking about too much of the hormone 'relaxin'. While pregnant the body produces relaxin to make ligaments and joints stretchy. Which is helpful when in normal doses. When your body produces too much relaxin, as is now diagnosed with me, you end up with major pain and find yourself in physical therapy. That's right folks, my 'better than the first' second pregnancy has now become the worse of the two. I have been diagnosed with SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). Basically, the ligment/joint that is located where the 2 bones of the pelvis meet in the middle has become so relaxed that it is causing hypermobility of my pelvis.


Whenever I have to shift my weight from one side to the other I find myself in excruciating pain because there are no ligments properly working to keep my pelvis stabilized. No big deal if the simplest of things (like walking) didn't involve shifting your weight. Walking, stairs, getting in and out of the car/bed/bathtub, putting on socks or pants, etc. have become increasingly difficult and managing the pain has become a full time job. I started physical therapy yesterday to help with the pain management (we hope). I am also on a Tylenol regime and get to wear this really awesome (note sarcasm) support belt.


All I can say is good thing this baby will be full term in 6 weeks. That's about all this mama can handle. And big brother is not a fan of mommy's physical limitations :(

No comments:

Post a Comment